VIKTOR MELNYK, PhD
- Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science,
- Lecturer in Political Science,
- Expert on State Government,
- State Counsellor and Advisor,
- Political and Legal Historian,
- Political Anthropologist and Consultant with teaching and curatorial experience since 2017.
- Working and publication languages: English, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, German and Latin (late ancient & medieval types).
- 2019, March — Currently. Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine, Kyiv, Volodymyrska Street, 60, 01033. Courses: “History of Political Thought”, “Introduction to Social and Political Knowledge”, “Political Psychology of Power”, “Psychology of Technology Management of Political Processes”.
- 2017, Sept. – Currently. Lecturer, Department of Philosophy and Social Science, National Pirоgov Memorial Medical University, Ukraine, Vinnytsya, Pyrohova Street, 56, 21018. Courses: “The History of Ukraine and Ukrainian Culture”, “Sociology and Medical Sociology”, “Philosophy”, “Ethics in Medicine”, “Ethics in Pharmacy”, “Logic”.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- 2020-Currently. Official Assistant & Consultant to the Member of Parliament of Ukraine, Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Ukrainian Parliament), Kyiv.
- 2017–Currently.Grantee Scholar, National Pirоgov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya, Department of Endoscopic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Researcher in the History of Medicine & Medical Law, Compiler of Questionnaires for Assessing the Quality of Life of Patients with Cardiovascular Pathologies, Researcher-Assistant of the Government Grant Project of the Department, Free Researcher of the Theory of Quality of Life Assesing.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science PhD. Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Department of Political Science, Faculty of Philosophy.
- Master of Laws LL.M. Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Department of Justice, LL.M. Diploma.
- Master of Public Administration M.P.A. Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Philosophy, MPA Diploma with honours.
- Master of Political Science MA. Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Department of Political Science, Faculty of Philosophy, MA Diploma with honours.
- Bachelor of Laws LL.B. J.D. Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Department of Constitutional Law. LL.B. Diploma with honours
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science BA. Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv, Department of Political Science. BA Diploma with honours
- LL.M. Educational Course “World Legal History” in 2 credit parts. Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia), Faculty of Law. Diploma with honours. Head: Prof. Vladimir Tomsinov.
- M.Scs. Educational Course “Historical Geography” in 2 credit parts. University of Tyumen (Russia), Institute of History and Political Sciences.
- Ukrainian State Certificate of obtaining B2 level in English. First Kyiv State Courses of Foreign Languages Institute. Upper Intermediate & Advances English Language Courses.
- M.Econ. Course “Varieties of Capitalism” in 2 credit parts. University of Wroclaw (Poland), Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of International Studies, Head: Prof. Sebastian Plociennik.
- BA in Philology Course “Polish as a Foreign Language”. University of Wroclaw (Poland), Faculty of Philology, Szkola Języka i Kultury Polskiej dla Cudzoziemców na Un. Wrocl. University of Wroclaw Certificate of obtaining B2 level in Polish.
- B.F.A. Course “Polish Art and Documentary Cinema”. University of Wroclaw (Poland), Faculty of Philology, Certificate with honors. The average score of the certificate is 5.0 out of the maximum possible 5.0.
- B.Scs. Workshop “Music Therapy in Psychiatry”. Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wroclaw (Poland), Department of Music Therapy, Head: Prof. Michael J. Silverman.
INTERNSHIPS, PARTICIPATION IN:
- 3rd CGS Summer School and Interdisciplinary Conference “Politicized Society, or How Much Politics Do We Need?” 21-25.07.2014, Toruń (Poland), Copernicus Graduate School, Faculty of Political Science and International Studies, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń. Head of internship: Prof. Miloš Řezník (German Historical Institute in Warsaw).
- 4th CGS Summer School and Interdisciplinary Conference “History and Politics. Remembrance as Legitimation” 6-11.07.2015, Toruń (Poland), Copernicus Graduate School, Faculty of Political Science and International Studies, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń. Head of internship: Prof. Theodore R. Weeks (Southern Illinois University in Carbondale).
- Six-months Internship in the Committee Secretariat of Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Ukrainian Parliament) 20.01.-01.07.2017, Kyiv (Ukraine), Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Ukrainian Parliament), Committee on Human Rights, National Minorities and Interethnic Relations of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETIES, MEMBERSHIP IN:
- American Society for Legal History, Inc. Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, Fellow, 2016 – currently.
- International Federation of Journalists, Card Number: UKR3695, Ukrainian Fellow, 2018 – currently.
- Russian Political Science Association, Research Fellow, 2015 – currently.
- Russian Society of Sociologists, Research Fellow in Ethnical Sociology, 2015 – currently.
UKRAINIAN SOCIETIES, MEMBERSHIP IN:
- National Union of Journalists of Ukraine, Vinnitsya Branch Office Fellow, Historical and Political Writer, 2014 – currently.
- Ukrainian Geographical Society, Kyiv Branch Office Fellow, Political and Legal Geography Researcher, 2015 – currently.
- Ukrainian Foreign Policy Association, Political Expert and Consultant, 2016-2018.
- Lviv Medieval Club, Fellow, 2016 – currently.
- Melnyk M. (2017). The Evolution of the International Legal Status of the Vatican: History, Present, Ukrainian Accents. Vinnitsya: “Mercury-Podillya Ltd”. 192 pages (with Russian and English Annotation and Bibliography). Dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the Pope Francis. In Ukrainian.
- Melnyk V. (2016). The Kingdom of Bhutan: the Legal Context of Modernization. Vinnitsya: Ukrainian Geographical Society Series “Social Geography of the XXI Century”. 50 pages. In Ukrainian.
- Melnyk V. (2016). Bolivia: Political History and Constitutional Law. Kyiv: Ukrainian Foreign Policy Association (UFPA). 30 pages. Short Handbook for Ukrainian Political Scientists. In Ukrainian.
- Melnyk V. (2016). Ethnohistorical Aspects of the Formation of the Polish Nation. Vinnytsya: National Pirоgov Memorial Medical University Press. 44 pages. In Ukrainian.
- Melnyk V. (2015). Defensive Fortifications of Vinnytsya. Vinnitsya: Vinnitsya City Press Ltd. 100 pages. Nonfiction Book about Vinnitsya Castle History between IX-XX centuries. In Ukrainian.
- Melnyk V. (2015). Essays on the Theory of Socio-Cultural Anthropology. Vinnitsya: Vinnitsya City Press Ltd. 552 pages. In Ukrainian.
Chapters in books:
- Melnyk Viktor (2017). Chapter Two: Tradition and Nation in Political Anthropology: The Ukrainian Ethno-historical Context. The Process of Politicization: How Much Politics Does a Society Need? / CGS Studies vol. 5. Edited by Wieslaw Waclawczyk and Adam Jarosz. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. pp. 23-44. In English.
Articles (Selection – ca. 270 in total):
- Melnyk V. M. (2019). “Oriental Dimension of Political Anthropology: Definition, Terminology, Main Political Science Schools”, Gileya: naukoviy visnyk. Zbirnyk naukovyh prats, Vol. 144 (Issue 3), pp. 88-94. (In Ukrainian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2019). “An Occidental Approach and the Theoretical Sphere of Political Anthropology”, Gileya: naukoviy visnyk. Zbirnyk naukovyh prats, Vol. 143 (Issue 3), pp. 50-58. (In Ukrainian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2019). “Recognition of the Supreme Power of the Byzantine Emperor in the Ostgoth Kingdom (493-526 AD)”. 13th Romanovs Readings: Collection of Articles of the International Scientific Conference Dedicated to the 105th Anniversary of the Mogilev State University named after A. Kuleshov, Mogilev, October 25-26, 2018. Ed. A. S. Melnikova. Mogilev, 2019. pp. 8-10. (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “Askold’s Era Legal History (860-882): Trade Routes and Byzantine Suzerainty”. Bulletin of the National University “KPI”. Political Science. Sociology. Law. Issue 3. Vol. 39. pp. 126-132. (In Ukrainian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “Emperor Irakli’s Economic Policy (610-641) in the Context of the Byzantine-Persian War”. History of Trade, Taxes and Duties. XII International Scientific Conference (October 25-26, 2018, Dnipro). Abstracts of Reports. Kyiv: Institute of History of Ukraine, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 2018. pp. 13-15. (In Ukrainian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “Change of Epochs: an Essay on the Formation of the Roman-Byzantine Doctrine of International Law (III-VI Century)”, Annali yuridicnoi istorii = The Annals of Legal History, Vol. 2, No 1-2, pp. 63-108. (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “The Eastern Roman Emperor as the Ruler of the West: Legal Examples of Ostrogoth and Burgundian Dependence on Byzantium (480-526)”, Arkasivski chitannya: Istorichni doslidzhennya na suchasnomu etapi rozvitku gumanitarnoi nauky: Materialy VIII Mizhnarodnoyi naukovo-praktichnoyi konferentsiyi (27-28 kvitnya 2018 r.), Mykolaiv: Mykolaiv National University, pp. 78-80. (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “Lex Foedus, Legal Communication and Political Disintegration of the Western Roman Empire”, Geografiya v sovremennom mire: vekovoy progress i novyie prioritetyi. Sbornik statey XIV Bolshogo geograficheskogo festivalya. (XIVth Great Geographical Congress in St. Petersburg State University). Petersburg, St. Petersburg State University, pp. 1011-1017. (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “Political and Anthropological Justification of Eurasian Social Integration: Historiographic Skythian-Sarmatism and Geographic Determinism”, Gipoteza/Hypothesis. Nauchno-prakticheskiy zhurnal. Scientific Journal. №2 (3). Saint-Petersburg: Saint-Petersburg State Economic University. pp. 13-19 (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2018). “The Importance of the Composite Bow and the Huns Cavalry for the Transformation of the Military Political Strategy of the Roman Empire”. Abstract Book of the Third International Conference on the Military History (12-14 June 2018). Kyiv: Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. pp. 9-13 (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2017). “Byzantium, Germans and Slavs at the Origins of the International Legal Status of States: Roman Legal Heritage and the Problem of Historical Inequality of Opportunities”, Annali yuridicnoi istorii = The Annals of Legal History, Vol. 1, No 2. pp. 59-92. (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. M. (2017). “The Theory of Symphony in the Horizontal and Vertical Dimensions as a Political and Anthropological Feature of the Byzantine History”, Gileya: naukoviy visnyk. Zbirnyk naukovyh prats, Vol. 127 (Issue 12), pp. 391-395. (In Russian).
- Melnyk V. (2017). “The Theory of Political Anthropology: Between Geographical Determinism and Ethnic Psychology”. Voprosy filosofii i psikhologii. Вопросы философии и психологии. 2017, Vol. 4. №1. рр. 35-47. (In English).
- Melnyk V. M. (2016). “Theoretical Construction of the Political Anthropology”, Gіleya: naukoviy vіsnyk. Zbіrnyk naukovyh prats. 2016. Vol. 113 (Issue 10), pp. 348-360. (In Ukrainian).
- Melnyk Viktor & Huberskyi Leonid & Kyrylyuk Fedir (2016). “Anthropological Discourse of Aristotelian Political Functionalism and Modernity”. World Congress in Philosophy. The Philosophy of Aristotle. Athens, 9-15 July 2016. Abstracts. Ed. by Prof. K. Boudouris. Athens, 2016. pp. 113-115. (In English).
GRANTS and AWARDS, selected:
- Special Award of the All-Polish Philosophical Prof. Dr. Meczyslaw Albert Krompiec Educational Competition (Lublin John Paul II Catholic University), 2011.
- 2. Educational Grant by Erasmus Mundus Global Studies (Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Republic of Poland), 2015.
- Award of the National Union of Journalists of Ukraine for the non-fiction book “Activities of the Ukrainian Nationalists in Kuban’ Region (1941-1950’s)” (Vinnitsya, 2016, 75 pp.), 2016.
- Award of the IV International Scientific Competition in Eurasian Economic Integration Theory among young scientists (St. Petersburg State University of Economics & Institute of Economic Forecasting of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 2017.
- Grant for article publication in Northern Verges Almanac (The Representation of the Faroe Islands in Moscow), 2018.